EIU’s research explores companies’ commitment to environmental, social and governance sustainability goals, and their priorities among sustainability-oriented practices. The study defines sustainability as operating in a way that ensures long-term viability.
- Commitment to sustainability is spreading from developed to developing markets.
- Customers exert the strongest influence on firms’ sustainability objectives.
- Short-term financial pressures are the main obstacle to commitment to sustainability.
- Executives are divided on the merits of integrated financial and sustainability reporting.
- Companies take an ad hoc approach to including sustainability practices in risk management.
- The relationship between ESG and long-term financial performance is crystallising.