US-China Tit-for-Tat Trade Row Continues: Trump Threatens US$100B More in Tariffs

Trump is escalating the trade fight by proposing tariffs on an additional US$100 billion of Chinese goods on Thursday.

The move came a day after Beijing announced plans to impose a 25% tariff on about US$50 billion of US products, including soybeans, automobiles, chemicals, and aircraft.

That was the country’s response to the US’s list of proposed tariffs a day earlier on US$50 billion of Chinese goods.

“In light of China’s unfair retaliation, I have instructed the US Trade Representative to consider whether $100 billion of additional tariffs would be appropriate under section 301 and, if so, to identify the products upon which to impose such tariffs,” Trump said in a statement issued by the White House.

Trump also said he would instruct the Agriculture Secretary to put together a plan “to protect our farmers and agricultural interests,” but he provided no details.

Despite Trump’s new threat, his economic adviser Larry Kudlow and other officials tried to ease the fears of a trade war.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said on Thursday evening that none of the tariffs would take immediate effect, adding that any extra tariffs would be first subject to a 60-day public comment period.

“I think we’re going to come to agreements,” Kudlow was quoted in various media reports as saying. “I believe that the Chinese will back down and will play ball.”

China's Xinhua News Agency said today that the country will defend its interests against the new US actions which are against international trade rules.

Read more on

Suggested Articles

Some of you might have already been aware of the news that Questex—with the aim to focus on event business—will shut down permanently all media brands in Asia…

Some advice for transitioning into an advisory role

Global risks are intensifying but the collective will to tackle them appears to be lacking. Check out this report for areas of concern