This EIU report examines the Middle East and North Africa region's attractiveness to investors and businesses from around the world. In a global survey of 618 executives, respondents broadly expect the Middle East to feature more prominently in their business plans in the next five years.
- The Middle East region will benefit strongly from accelerating “south-south” business.
- Businesses’ views on the potential impact of the “Arab Spring” on trade and investment are divided.
- The UAE is the most favoured destination in the Middle East.
- Latin American firms are less worried about the impact of political turmoil on business in the Middle East than respondents from any other region in the world.
- Corruption is less of a concern for emerging-market fi rms than it is for businesses from developed markets.
- Cultural factors present major concerns for emerging-market businesses.
- The burgeoning youth population that is demanding political change in the Middle East is also valued as an economic resource.