This report on online alternative finance market in Asia-Pacific has been conducted by the Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance at Cambridge Judge Business School, the Tsinghua University Graduate School at Shenzhen and The University of Sydney Business School, in partnership with KPMG and with the support of the ACCA and CME Group Foundation.
China is by far the world's largest online alternative finance market by transaction volume, and represents 99% of the total volume in the Asia-Pacific region. The main reasons for China's rapid rise in online alternative finance is that it is the second largest country in the world, has the largest internet user base and the online financial market has been largely unregulated, until recently.
However, the level of institutional funding (marketplace/peer-to-peer consumer lending) in online alternative finance in notably higher in the wider Asia-Pacific region (63%) that it is in mainland China (10%).
This report has demonstrated that the Asia-Pacific online alternative finance market is fluid, diverse and growing at a rapid pace. The challenge is how to best nurture these opportunities and grow the market in a sustainable manner.
- Executive summary
- The size and growth of the online Asia-Pacific alternative finance market
- The geographic distribution of alternative finance in the Asia-Pacific Region
- The dynamics of the Asia-Pacific online alternative finance market
- The diversity of the Asia-Pacific online alternative finance industry
- Online alternative business finance in the Asia-Pacific
- Asia-Pacific online alternative finance market fundamentals
- Regulatory development and industry perceptions of regulations
- Market development by country and region