This report from the Economist Corporate Network (ECN), sponsored by Baker & McKenzie, looks at how mega-regional trade and investment initiatives in Asia will shape business strategy in ASEAN and beyond. The report is based on a global survey and in-depth interviews.
ASEAN has been at the forefront of the emerging markets. However, with the slowdown of the Chinese economy, ASEAN countries will need to make an extra push.
69% of the respondents think that being a member of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) will make their countries more attractive to investment opportunities. Around 70% of respondents are already getting ready for China's trade initiative One Belt One Road (OBOR), although it may still be a future project.
- Mega-regionals: Creating channels of connectivity
- Mega-regional 1: China's "one belt, one road" (OBOR) initiative
- Mega-regional 2: Free trade agreements in twenty-first century Asia
- Reshaping the ASEAN business environment
- What does it all mean for business?