The EIU's study explores the growth and evolution of government e-payments adoption. In business areas, e-services for tax collection are progressing more rapidly than those for tax refunds. The services most in need of improvement are requesting unemployment, workers’ compensation and welfare benefits.
- The top three performers, the US, the UK and Norway, offer a comprehensive e-payments landscape, strong policies and developed infrastructure.
- The bottom three—Nigeria, Uganda and Ukraine—perform poorly in most of the categories.
- Top performers typically have high GDP per capita.
- There has been a marked improvement in technological infrastructure since 2007.
- By region, the strongest performers are in the Americas, Western Europe and Asia.
- The scope and depth of government payment services is closely related to the existence of enabling policies and a developed infrastructure.