This report from ACCA
examines the tough questions of what skills and experiences future CFOs need to possess. The results are based on a worldwide survey of over 750 CFOs and finance professionals.
The survey shows that taking the classic finance career paths to reach the CFO role will not be enough in the future. As the business environment is changing and the CFO takes on a more strategic role in the organization, skills and capabilities need to be evolved.
Ten skills most valuable for future finance chiefs:
- Know your finance fundamentals
- See strategy and business experience as the new baseline
- Career plan for the next big thing in finance: Insight and Analytics
- Get risk experience under the belt
- Become a deal maker
- Get closer to stakeholders, become customer-focused
- Focus on the management skills that matter
- Prepare for more regulation and broader reporting
- Get connected
- Expand your ‘footprint’