A Slow Start for ECM listings in Asia Pacific

Equity and equity-linked transactions listed in Asia Pacific started slow this year as proceeds totaled US$37.8 billion, a 24.3% drop from the first quarter of 2013 (US$49.9 billion), and saw a 38.0% sequential decline from the fourth quarter of 2013 (US$60.9 billion), according to Thomson Reuters. This is the lowest start to a year since 2009 when proceeds fell to US$25.0 billion.

 

Proceeds from initial public offerings (IPO) in Asia Pacific stock exchanges surged to US$12.6 billion, a 269.0% increase from the first quarter of 2013 (US$3.4 billion), and witnessed the highest first quarter period since 2011 when IPO proceeds amounted to US$24.3 billion.

 

The Hong Kong Stock Exchange (HKSE) captured 46.7% of this year’s initial public offerings in Asia Pacific with US$5.9 billion worth of proceeds, a 467.4% growth compared to first quarter of 2013 (US$1.0 billion). This was driven by the US$3.1 billion IPO of HK Electric Investments Ltd, the largest ECM deal this year in Asia Pacific.

 

Globally, HKSE ranked second in terms of IPO proceeds and captured 13.3% of the market share while New York took the lead with US$7.7 billion, up 18.9% from the first quarter of 2013 and captured 17.4% of the IPO proceeds worldwide.

 

Follow-on Offerings Down 41.4% - Lowest Start Since 2008
Follow-on offerings accounted for 57.5% of the ECM listings in Asia Pacific with US$21.7 billion worth of proceeds, a 41.4% decline from the first quarter of 2013, and the lowest start to a year since 2008 (US$13.4 billion).

 

Common Stock offerings (combined IPO and Follow-ons) raised a total of US$34.3 billion, down 15.3% from first quarter of 2013 (US$40.4 billion), and witnessed the lowest first quarter period since 2009 when proceeds amounted to US$24.0 billion.

 

Total amount raised from stake sell downs of Asian shares through block trade reached US$4.3 billion, down 64.3% from the first quarter of 2013 (US$12.2 billion) as number of issues fell 51.1%.

 

Financials Capture 21.6% of ECM Activity for 2014 YTD
The Financials sector captured majority of the ECM issuance listed in Asia Pacific thus far with 21.6% market share worth US$8.2 billion, despite the 36.6% decline in proceeds. Energy & Power (19.1%) and Industrials (14.5%) accounted for a combined market share of 33.6% even if proceeds declined 19.5% and 10.1%, respectively, from first quarter of 2013. TMT sector (Technology, Media, and Telecommunications) raised US$5.1 billion worth of proceeds, up 43.0% compared to the first quarter of 2013.

Read more on

Suggested Articles

Some of you might have already been aware of the news that Questex—with the aim to focus on event business—will shut down permanently all media brands in Asia…

Some advice for transitioning into an advisory role

Global risks are intensifying but the collective will to tackle them appears to be lacking. Check out this report for areas of concern